After a month long project
It's finished!!
Well, kind of.
We still need to install the baseboards.
But I think we deserve a nice long break from home improvements. =)
Back story:
I didn't take a picture of the carpets before we started ripping it out. I'm not entirely sure I would've shared the photo anyway. It was gross. In December 2008 there was an awful ice storm in the midwest and our power went out. We stayed at my parents house for 3 days (over Christmas) and then one day our bipolar Indiana weather decided to be 48 degrees. Fabulous. All of the ice melted and it was water puddles everywhere. Our neighbors house sits about 5-6 feet higher than ours and so the land slopes down toward our house and all of her down spouts were pointed directly at our house.
Long story short. Our house flooded. It was a disaster. Water flooded about 6 feet into our back room, all through our garage and about 2-3 feet into the living room. We had cream carpets. After the cleanup and drywall fixes, we had beautiful brown and orange permanent stains on the carpet. Throw in 2 small dogs and you've got yourself a rainbow of a floor!
We were so blessed to have numerous people help us in this project. It seems almost every night that we had hard work to do, someone new was willing to help.
We started the project a few days before hubby had to go away for 5 days for Army training. This left me and babygirl in a pretty torn up house. We had to block off the back room and entertain ourselves in the back half of the house and a very small living room.
The back room was finished first. My brother-in-law and I finished it up while hubby was away. I was so excited to have some of it done! It was a HUGE transformation and it made me so excited to keep working to finish the rest.
This was what was under the carpet in the hallway.
Some really ugly white tile.
Our house was built in the 50's.
Let me tell ya, they had some weird decorating ideas!
Isn't the wood grain in the boards beautiful? If you're reading this, you're probably thinking. Uh. It's a floor. Ok?
But to us!!!
It is a HUGE and dramatic change and we feel so much cleaner having babygirl run and play on this new floor. Plus it will add a great value to our home when we sell it.
Which hopefully, will be in 2013 after hubby returns from his deployment.
Fingers crossed!
Let's just say I was a little more than thrilled that we were finished.
No comments:
Post a Comment