Monday, August 1, 2011

My parents are better than yours..

   Seriously? Is it August already? Where has this year gone?! Wasn't it nice being a kid? Summer was always awesome! School was out and the world was yours. Sleep in late, stay up late. Carefree.
   I couldn't wait to grow up. I always said I couldn't wait until I just had to go to work everyday and not worry about school. Things would be so much better, so much easier. HA!
   Some days I wish I could reverse 7 years or so. Life really was easier. It was easy to rely on your parents for everything. I was so blessed as a kid. Some would call it spoiled, I call it blessed.
   My parents always wanted better for us. They expected us to be better than them. They held us to a higher standard. We were all required to graduate high school. That is something my dad never did. It was never an option for us to not graduate. Life is hard for kids who give up and drop out. Nowadays some jobs are even too hard to get with just a GED. A lot of places are requiring an Associates degree from college just to be hired.
   I am so proud of my dad. He dropped out of high school in the 10th grade and had some rough teenage years after losing his father. He eventually went on to get his GED at age 30 while he had a wife and 4 children. Today, I view my dad as a very successful business man. He turned his life around and wanted better for himself, better for his family. I can't remember a time where we struggled or had to do without. Ever. We were taught that family is most important and always put first. Friends may come and go but family is forever.
   I am so thankful for parents that love and support us. Even today, when we are all grown and married with our own children. I know I can always rely on them.

Thank you for pushing me.
Thank you for asking only the best from me.
Thank you for always loving me.




I have also decided to link up in a fun challenge! 
For the month of August I have a checklist of photos to take everyday. I think this will be fun! Come back on Thursday for the official checklist. (This means you, Joe)

August 1- Self Portrait. 
I know this picture is WAY old. As in, four years old! But it's one of my favorites of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment